Sunday, August 18, 2013

Home Ownership - Projects Part 1

When Eric and I bought our home in February 2009, people said that the projects never end. They were right. We're about to start another set of projects which I think will take up the rest of our fall. Once they are done, it will be awesome but I hate that in between time. It means a messier-than-normal house, people I don’t know being in my space and large amounts of cash going out the window.

But again, it will be awesome when we're done. And it will increase the value of our home should we wish to ever sell.

First we're planning to put in an egress window. This will not only lighten up the basement but allow us to classify the basement as a fourth bedroom – i.e. driving up the value of the home. Second, we're planning to put in new doors on our second floor out to the deck. This will mean I can use the deck again – once we put it back up. We had to take it down last year to make some repairs to the roof below it so I've been suffering along for two summers without my rooftop garden oasis.

Those two projects alone mean not just a bunch of work during the process but also in preparation. This means I need to move a number of plants to make way for the egress window and I need to pack up my office before work starts on the second floor.


I really am looking forward to the project being done. Here are the before pictures. After pictures coming soon – hopefully! 
This is where the future egress window will be put. Note the plants I need to relocate today. Anybody like digging?
The midget door will soon be replaced with a set of French doors and a dormer. Then, at last, my deck can come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Please use your name so I know who's talking! :)