Saturday, August 10, 2013

Eagles, Deer & Bears

Driving up north to Shell Lake is often filled with wild animal sightings and this past weekend was no exception. One 16-mile stretch of road I managed to see a bald eagle, a deer and yes, a bear. Up north, seeing a deer common when driving whether it be night or day. And eagles are becoming more commonplace now too.

Unfortunately bears are becoming more common as well. For those of you that may not have heard, there was a bear attack in the Shell Lake, Wis., area about a month ago. The victim was taken by helicopter to a hospital in the Twin Cities and is lucky to be alive today. And this attack happened just two miles from my mom’s house. Yikes, talk about too close for comfort. Here's a recent story on the attack: http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/nw-wisconsin/Bear-Attack-Near-Shell-Lake--212325011.html.
Photo by Michael Webber.

As my brother said, though, “The bears are thick this year,” and he’s not kidding. I don't believe in all my years of driving around northern Wisconsin I have spotted a bear hanging out on the edge of the road. Here’s to hoping I don't see another for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Please use your name so I know who's talking! :)